MODBUS power meter data logging (easy method)
My goal is to read values from a power meter with MODBUS RTU or MODBUS/TCP.
It is assumed that:
You have configured the communication settings on the device:
- MODBUS TCP - IP address, Subnet, Gateway. You must assign a static IP address for the device.
- MODBUS RTU - baud rate and number of data bits.
1. Open the configuration window for the "MODBUS TCP" or "MODBUS RTU" plugin accordingly (fig. 1).
Fig. 1: Configuration window
2. Click "Action - Add from registers map" (fig. 2).
Fig. 2: Selecting registers map
3. Select necessary registers (fig. 3).
Fig. 3: Registers map
4. Adjust the polling interval as you want.
5. Click the "OK" button. The program will build one or more requests and add them to the queue.
6. Enable the "Export data for all requests at once" option.
7. Specify the same device address in the "Device address" field (fig. 1) for all requests.
- RS-485: if you've connected several devices to the RS-485 network then you may specify several address like 1,2,3,4,5
- MODBUS/TCP and Ethernet: the device address should be "1". In the TCP settings you must specify an IP address for each MODBUS device separately.
Find the register map for your MODBUS device:
If your device is not in this list please search in our database (specify full name: manufacturer and model number):
Built-in register maps:
MODBUS RTU, MODBUS ASCII, MODBUS/TCP