MODBUS Sunspec Compatible Inverters and Power Meters
My goal is to read data from a power inverter with MODBUS RTU or MODBUS/TCP.
It is assumed that:
You have configured the communication settings on the device:
- MODBUS TCP - IP address, Subnet, Gateway. You must assign a static IP address for the device.
- MODBUS RTU - baud rate and the number of data bits.
1. Create a new configuration from the main window using the "Green Plus" button. Then configure the connection with your Sunspec-compatible device (fig. 1). This example shows the connection settings for MODBUS TCP. If your device uses MODBUS RTU, look here.
Fig. 1: IP connection settings
2. Click "OK" and save the connection settings. Now, the program saved and applied the communication settings, and you can continue configuring data logging.
3. Go to your configuration setting again (Main window - Options - Manage configurations - Modules - Query Parser Filter). Select the "MODBUS TCP" or "MODBUS RTU" plugin from lists. Then click the "Setup" button.
Fig. 2: Selecting the MODBUS plugin
4. Click "Action - Add Sunspec compatible device" (fig. 3).
Fig. 3: Adding a MODBUS device
5. Specify the device address (fig. 4).
Fig. 4: Entering a device address
5. The logger will start reading device information. If the operation completes successfully, you can select the necessary MODBUS registers from the showed list (fig. 5).
Fig. 5: Registers map
6. Adjust the polling interval as you want.
7. Click the "OK" button. The program adds one or more requests to the queue (fig. 6).
Fig. 6: MODBUS queue
8. Enable the "Export data for all requests at once" option (fig. 1).
- RS-485: if you connect several devices to the RS-485 network, you may specify several addresses like 1,2,3,4,5
- MODBUS/TCP and Ethernet: usually, the device address is "1". In the TCP settings, you must specify an IP address for each MODBUS device separately.
Known compatible Sunspec devices:
This list is not complete, and we add new devices to it periodically:
SMA Solar Technology SUNNY BOY / SUNNY TRIPOWER
KOSTAL PIKO IQ / PLENTICORE plus
Ginlong Solis Inverters
Delta Electronics, Inc. Inverters
Schneider Electric Conext
ABB TRIO, US
Carlo Gavazzi VMU
MODBUS RTU, MODBUS ASCII, MODBUS/TCP
- MODBUS power meter data logging (easy method)
- Sunspec-compatible MODBUS power meters, inverters (easy method)
- MODBUS RTU/TCP polling: Configuring master station (MODBUS RTU, MODBUS TCP, requests, response items).
- MODBUS poll: How to make sure that the application sends requests and receives responses?
- MODBUS poll: How to view register values, not raw MODBUS packets?
- MODBUS polling: How to make sure that the application correctly interprets the responses received from the device?
- MODBUS polling: How to view MODBUS register values in a more easy-to-grasp form (graphs, indicators, etc.)?
- MODBUS: How to combine the data of two requests?
- MODBUS: What is the right way to poll multiple devices?
- Controlling PLC coil registers status using MODBUS TCP (MODBUS data parser, custom scripts, events generating, and handling).
- MODBUS to MSSQL: Write MODBUS registers to separate columns
- MODBUS to MySQL: Write MODBUS values to the MySQL database
- MODBUS to a database: Writing MODBUS RTU/TCP values to a database
- Sentron PAC 3200: MODBUS TCP Data Logging
- Write data to a MODBUS device
- SQL to MODBUS: Send data from a SQL database to MODBUS.