RS232 to MS SQL Server using our data logger software
Complete the following steps in order to configure our software for data logging from RS232 to SQL Server. If you are not familiar with the SQL dialect, then please use the RS232 to ODBC method instead. ODBC drivers for SQL Server are includes in Windows Vista, Windows 7 and higher.
1. RS-232 Logger Software download
Download and install our software.
Advanced Serial Data Logger and all necessary plugins you can download from our download area. Plugins can be downloaded separately here.
You will need the following plug-ins:
- The "ASCII Data Parser" plug-in to extract data from the common data flow (already included in the installation package).
- The "SQL Database Pro" plug-in to export data from RS232 to the MS SQL Server database. This plug-in will connect to the SQL Server directly and requires SQL Server Client tools..
The following diagram illustrates the internal data flow from RS232 to MSSQL.
2. Configure the ASCII data parser
Our tutorials section contains several examples for different data formats. Also, our support team will glad to help you with the parser settings.
3. Create a SQL Server database and table with a necessary structure
4. Configure a connection in the SQL Database Pro plug-in
You can find the detailed description in the following tutorial.
5. Specify a SQL statement to insert RS232 data to Microsoft SQL Server
RS-232 to SQL Server Glossary
RS232 Port, RS232, RS-232 - usually identifies serial ports more or less compliant to the RS-232 standard.
MS SQL Server - a relational database server, developed by Microsoft.